Come and join us on this one-day workshop and learn how you can make a real difference to the everyday lifestyle of your older clients and walk away from your workouts with a smile. This course is your introduction to the most rewarding career change as there is an increasing demand for Pilates teachers to integrate older adults into their classes as the time we spend on this earth increases.
The NHS predicts that by 2030 life expectancy will be into the late 80’s. In 2018 there were over 21 million people in the UK over 50. People are living longer, staying active, looking after themselves and looking for appropriate exercise as they age. Teaching Pilates to older adults is immensely rewarding and great fun and they will love you for taking time to be with them and help to improve the everyday function and quality of their lives. This workshop covers the theory of ageing but mainly focuses on appropriate exercise, adaptations of Pilates exercises, balance and falls prevention. You will explore how to adapt and incorporate new exercises into your classes to accommodate those who currently attend and how to integrate those less able and to set up new classes.
This workshop will give you the skills and knowledge to expand your career opportunities and is ideal for Matwork Pilates teachers and those who feel their one to one clients are in need of adaptations now they are getting older.
- · Chief Medical Officer recommendations for 65+ years physical activity
- · Exploring the physiological, anatomical and psychological changes of ageing
- · The benefits of Pilates and appropriate exercises for our ageing clients
- · Pilates adaptations and modifications for different conditions and abilities
- · Balance and falls prevention exercises for postural stability
- · Functional Activities
- · Aspects of working with older adults beyond exercise including,
- social interaction
- referral to healthcare professionals
- incentives and rewards and building confidence
Once you have completed the workshop you can consider progressing to gaining the Adapting Exercise For Independently Active Older People (YMCA Awards Level 3).This qualification will enable you to teach a specific older person’s class (70+). To learn more about this course click here.Price: £130